The Parametric EQ, or Parametric Equalizer, stands as a cornerstone in the realm of audio processing. This tool transcends the capabilities of traditional graphic EQs, which are limited by fixed frequency bands. In contrast, a Parametric EQ provides users with an unprecedented level of control and adaptability.
With a Parametric EQ, users can precisely select the frequency (Freq), adjust the bandwidth (Q), and set the level of cut or boost (Gain). This level of customization allows for a more nuanced and tailored audio experience.
Whether you're a professional sound engineer seeking to fine-tune a mix or an audio enthusiast looking to optimize your listening experience, the Parametric EQ is an invaluable tool. Its versatility and precision make it an essential component in any audio toolkit.
Four variables in Parametric EQ
A Parametric Equalizer manipulates the frequency response of an audio signal through four main controls:
1. Frequency: Specifies the center frequency to target.
2. Bandwidth/Q (Quality Factor): Defines the range of frequencies surrounding the center frequency that will be impacted.
3. Gain: Determines the level of boost or cut applied to the chosen frequency range.
4. Filter Type: Includes high-pass, low-pass, peak (PK), notch, high-shelf (HS), and low-shelf (LS).
- Shelving Filters: Affect all frequencies above or below a chosen point, boosting or cutting them by a fixed amount.
- Peak Filters (or Bell Curve Filters): Allow precise adjustments by boosting or cutting a specific frequency range.
- High Pass and Low Pass Filters: (Will be supported in the future) Eliminate frequencies above or below a selected point.
Note: In this version of the PEQ, bands 1 and 4 utilize the LS and HS filters, respectively. Meanwhile, bands 2 and 3 employ the PK filter.
Step-by-Step Guide to Using Parametric EQ
Follow the steps below to use a Parametric EQ on WIIM Pro with the WiiM Home app:
1. Begin by ensuring you have the latest version of the WiiM Home App (version 2.5.5). This can be downloaded from either the App Store or Google Play.
2. Open the WiiM Home app and navigate to the 'Device' tab.
3. Within the 'Device' tab, locate and tap the gear icon to access device settings, then tap EQ.
4. Select' Parametric EQ' at the top of the EQ screen.
5. To adjust the Frequency and Gain of a PEQ filter, simply drag the numeric indicator. This allows for precise control over these parameters.
6. For direct input of Q values, tap the label of Q values. This will allow you to manually input the desired Q value, providing an additional level of customization.
7. Tap the 'Save' button to save your custom EQ settings.
8. Tap the '···' button to edit the existing custom EQ
By following these steps, you can effectively utilize the Parametric EQ to tailor your audio experience to your preferences.